Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Sound of Silence

When the girls finally lay down their heads and fall asleep, and the dogs all find their happy places around my feet, and the cats snuggle in the chair beside me, and Russell is off on a pool night... the house goes quiet. It's a strange quiet that I am pretty unfamiliar with. The only sound to be heard is the soft whirl of the ceiling fan and the steady ticking of every clock in the house.

It never ceases to amaze me how loud quiet actually can become. The clocks... they make me crazy. Tick and then tock... and click click click... the seconds... they fall away... fading into the past... and when the silence is so loud with the passing of time, I find myself looking for things to do. I must do something... listen to the moments passing by!

I am currently working on my very first novel. I found a writing contest called Operation First Novel, and the winner gets a check for 25k and published... It must be at least 75,000 words long, and it is due in September. I feel like the seconds that are sliding past are chances that I need to be focused on completing it. However, I find I cannot write on it all the time. I have to be in a certain mood... imagination has to be pouring out of me. I find I am usually not stuck in front of a computer when those moments hit me. Maybe I need a voice recorder... ideas? Sigh... the clock... it's relentless tonight. I must get up and focus on something...

I think the looming 30 year mark is also affecting me somehow... I have accomplished much... but there is much left to do!! :) I hope all of my readers are not sitting anywhere near the gosh darn clock in the room.

Here's a cool pic I snatched on my way home from work... cloud junky... that's me.


oh and if you have forgotten... here's a classic reminder of the Sound of Silence.

2 comments:

  1. You know when I have the house to myself after Mike goes to work and the kids in school. I rarely EVER turn on any TV or music. I enjoy the silence. I never really notice the sounds (clocks, fish tank, water pipes etc) unless I read something that says to listen......just like your blog. Now it is all I hear. Thanks Jeanna!
    However, I do tend to talk to the dog a lot. hee hee
    Can't wait to read your novel! I get a signed copy you know........:)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will absolutely get a signed copy :) I am not a big tv fan myself... it slows down me hearing my own thoughts, so I don't have it on often at all either.

    As far as hearing the clocks... I recently stopped wearing a watch... because in all honesty, it doesn't really matter what time it is. We stay sooooo wrapped around that as Americans... i'm over it :)

    ReplyDelete